Saturday, November 14, 2009

November 13, 2009

Today we had Billy's follow up appointment for his wrist. He got the all clear to go back to behaving like a normal rough and tough 6 year old. This is really good news. He hated not being able to go on his swing set or his trampoline. I have already seen a difference in the amount of incidents of getting hurt compared to how he was before getting his glasses. I really just thought he was accident prone. It never occurred to me that it could have been his sight causing him to get hurt so often.
He still fights the patch. He hates wearing it. It does make him clumsy. So when he wears it, he usually just sits and watches TV. I try to get him to color or do other brain stimulating activities, but he is still resistant. I am hoping that repetition will help and he will give in and stop complaining so much about it. What is sad about it at his age is that he feels as though he did something wrong, and that is why he has to wear glasses and a patch. It breaks my heart to hear him say things like that. I keep telling him that he didn't do anything wrong.
Billy said today that he hates wearing his glasses. Which was kind of strange because he has been really good and automatic about his glasses. I knew he hated the patch. He has told me over and over how different it looks with and without his glasses. He says everything is blurry without them, and sometimes I catch him lifting them and seeing the difference. He has also said that he didn't know he couldn't see until he got glasses. His blurry world was "normal" to him.
All I can do is to keep reassuring him. He will be wearing glasses or contacts if he can for the rest of his life, and I guess eventually that will be his "new normal"

No comments:

Post a Comment